Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just call me Farmer Frehner


Yes it is true...I grew my first garden. I can honestly say that I won't win any awards with my garden but I am proud of it all the same. The most memorable story (so far) is...I was out doing my daily watering task and I looked over at my green bean plants and I actually saw some real vegetables growing!!! And I was even more proud that they were the BIGGEST green bean I have ever seen. Man that Miracle Grow really did made things grow bigger. I started thinking in my mind that I should look up the number for Guinness Book of World Records because I know they are going to want to see this. As I got closer they were so big that they could be mistaken for a cucumber. So I bet you can guess how this story ends. I knew that I planted green beans in that spot in the garden and I didn't plant any cucumbers so I was still impressed with myself. You would be amazed how long these miraculous vegetables had me going. Luckily for me I kept all the seed packets and low and behold I did actually plant cucumbers. So the tip of the day...if it looks like a cucumber...it probably is.
This year I planted: pumpkin (they have all almost died, only one pumpkin is still trying to hang tough), cantelope, watermellon (I have a ton of these growing...and by a ton, I mean a dozen), corn, lettuce (I didn't know they keep growing after you eat some) (I also didn't know that if you don't harvest it after to long, it tastes bitter and no one will eat it for dinner), green onions (they are yummy), green beans (well I planted them but only one plant grew and then it died before anything amazing grew), cucumbers (you know about those), strawberries (didn't do so well), and last but not least tomatoes (they all died right off so I didn't do so well there either).
All in all I probably spent ten times as much on water and Miracle Grow than it would have cost me to just buy these items in the store...but it has been a fun learning experience. The other benefit has been when the boys are amazed that we are eating something that mom has grown. Memories...you can't buy that!

No comments:

Followers